but more famous for the day “RMS Titanic” struck an iceberg.
Holidays and observances
- Ambedkar Jayanti (India)
- Black Day (South Korea)
- Christian Feast Day:
- Dhivehi Language Day (Maldives)
- Day of the Georgian language (Georgia)
- Day of Mologa (Yaroslavl Oblast, Russia)
- N’Ko Alphabet Day (Mande speakers)
- New Year festivals in South and Southeast Asian cultures, celebrated on the sidereal vernal equinox:
- Assamese New Year, or Rongali Bihu (India’s Assam Valley)
- Bengali New Year, or Pohela Boishakh (Bangladesh and India’s West Bengal state)
- Burmese New Year, or Thingyan (Burma)
- Sikh New Year, or Vaisakhi (Punjab region)
- Khmer New Year, or Chol Chnam Thmey, most commonly celebrated on April 13 (Cambodia)
- Lao New Year, or Songkan / Pi Mai Lao, generally celebrated from 13 to 15 April (Laos)
- Maithili New Year, Jude-Sheetal in Mithila and Nepal
- Malayali New Year, or Vishu (India’s Kerala state)
- Maldivian New Year, (Maldives)
- Nepali New Year, or Bikram Samwat / Vaishak Ek (Nepal)
- Oriya New Year, or Maha Visuba Sankranthi (India’s Orissa state)
- Sinhalese New Year, or Aluth Avurudhu (Sri Lanka)
- Tamil New Year, or Puthandu (India’s Tamil Nadu state, Sri Lanka)
- Thai New Year, or Songkran, celebrated from 13 to 15 April (Thailand)
- Tuluva New Year, or Bisu (India’s Karnataka state)
- The first day of Takayama Spring Festival (Takayama, Gifu, Japan)
- Youth Day (Angola)
April 16 th. is Magnus Mass. The spring work begins now, plow and till.
(MAGNOALDUS, MAGINALDUS, popularly known as ST. MANG)
An apostle of the Algäu, d. about 750 (655?). The history of St. Magnus is shrouded in obscurity. The only source is an old “Vita S. Magni”, which, however, contains so many manifest anachronisms that little reliance can be placed on it. It relates that two Irish missionaries Columbanus and Gall, spent some time with Willimar, a priest at Arbon. Here Gall fell sick and was put in charge of Magnus and Theodore (Maginald and Theodo), two clerics living with Willimar, while Columbanus proceeded to Italy and founded the monastery of Bobbio. When Gall had been miraculously informed of the death of Columbanus he sent Magnus to pray at his grave in Bobbio. Magnus returned from Bobbio with the staff of Columbanus and thereafter they followed his rule. After the death of Gall, Magnus succeeded him as superior of the cell.
Something to celebrate, do or remember, every day of the year. Images.
The next big day to notice is April 25 th. I will be here.